Since ancient times Scandinavians have been covering roofs of their homes very creatively. For now green grass on a roof seems to be strange and the house looks like the Hobbit’s hut. But actually such roof has many advantages. First the “living” roof is a great conditioner. This house is warm in winter and the roof is not heated in the summer. The next important factors are long term life and noise isolation. And finally grass on a roof looks originally and esthetically being perfectly combined with landscape.
ArtaLife has collected the best “live” roofs of the Scandinavian houses.
1. Torshavn, Faroe Islands
2. Hofskirkja, Iceland
4. Renndølsetra, Norway
5. Mikladalur, Faroe Islands
6. Vatnajökull Nationalpark, Iceland
7. Thjorsardalur, Iceland
8. Skalholt, IcelandVatnajökull Nationalpark, Iceland
9. Church Of Funningur, Faroe Islands
10. Saksun Village, Streymoy, Faroe Islands